NAMEThe name of the organisation shall be The Deben Players (hereinafter referenced as "the Society").
AIMSThe aims of the Society shall be:
- To produce plays and other shows for the entertainment and education of the public; and
- To foster interest in the dramatic and operatic arts, for the benefit of the local community.
- A management committee elected annually at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) shall manage the Society.
- The committee shall consist of a Chair, Vice-Chair, Treasurer, and up to nine other voting members, one of whom may be appointed Secretary if desired.
- The committee may co-opt voting members who shall resign at the next Annual General Meeting.
- A member of the committee shall cease to hold office if he or she:
- is disqualified from acting as a member of the committee by virtue of section 72 of the Charities Act 1993 (or any statutory re-enactment or modification of that provision); or
- becomes incapable by reason of mental disorder, illness or injury of managing and administering his or her own affairs; or
- is absent without the permission of the committee from all their meetings held within a period of six months and the committee resolve that his or her office be vacated; or
- notifies to the committee a wish to resign (but only if at least the Chair, Vice-Chair and Treasurer will remain in office when the notice of resignation is to take effect).
- The committee shall meet at least four times each year.
- At least three committee members must be present at a committee meeting to be able to make decisions.
- A proper record of all transactions and meetings shall be kept.
POWERSTo further the aims of the Society the committee shall have power to:
- Obtain, collect and receive money or funds by way of contributions, donations, grants and any other lawful method towards the aims of the Society.
- Associate local authorities, voluntary organisations and the residents of the area in a common effort to carry out the aims of the Society.
- Publish and implement such policies and procedures as may from time-to-time be agreed by the committee regarding the day-to-day running of the Society.
- Do all such lawful things as will further the aims of the Society.
- Voting membership shall be open to anyone over the age of 18 who supports the aims of the Society.
- The committee shall have the power to approve or reject applications for membership or to terminate the membership of any member provided that the member shall have the right to be heard by the committee before a final decision is made.
- A member shall be a person who shall agree to abide by the constitution in return for the right to:
- attend General Meetings and cast votes.
- perform or appear in productions of the Society.
- An Annual General Meeting (AGM) shall be held within twelve months of the date of the adoption of this constitution and each year thereafter.
- Notices of the AGM shall be published three weeks beforehand and a report on the Society’s financial position for the previous year will be made available at the same time.
- The AGM shall be the only forum at which changes to the constitution can be enacted.
- Proposals to change the constitution must be given in writing to the committee at least twenty-eight days before the AGM and approved by a two-thirds majority of those present and voting at that AGM.
- A Special General Meeting may be called at any time at the request of the committee, or not less than one quarter of the voting membership. A notice explaining the place, date, time and reason shall be sent to all voting members three weeks beforehand.
- A minimum of four voting members being present shall be required to enable an Annual or Special General Meeting to take place.
- The funds of the Society including all donations, contributions and bequests, shall be paid into an account or accounts operated by the committee. All cheques drawn on the account(s) must be signed by at least two members of the committee who are designated signatories on the account(s).
- The funds belonging to the Society shall be applied only to further the aims of the Society.
- A current record of all income, funding and expenditure will be kept.
- The Society may be dissolved by a resolution passed by a simple two-thirds majority of those voting members present at a Special or Annual General Meeting.
- If the dissolution resolution is passed, the committee shall distribute any assets remaining after the payment of all bills to other charitable groups or organisations having aims similar to the Society or some other charitable purposes as the Society may decide.
ADOPTION OF THE CONSTITUTIONThis constitution was agreed and adopted by the Society at the AGM on 22nd October 2018.